Thursday, September 08, 2005

Day 2: London: John's flat (actually, an internet cafe)

After a loud night's sleep -- curse you, busy road! -- I got up, fought with the hotel's wireless internet that showed full reception but gave no information.

I had to give up after not too long, what with having to be out by 11am. Packed my things (how do I still have so much crap?) amd checked out.

Trekked over to John's place -- look at me being all public transportation-savvy! -- and took a long nap.

I didn't mean to. I started out looking at all the stuff to do in London and checking to see if it was in any kind of close proximity to me (yes, but that doesn't mean I can get there, transportation-savvy or not). And it was quiet and kind of dark and surely a little nap will help with jet lag, right?

Well, I feel better now, so I'm guessing the answer is yes.

I still don't know how to find, say, the aquarium, so I don't know what I'm going to do until John gets home. I do know that internet will be involved sometime soon (ta da!).

Right now I'm in what I thought was just a general pub/grill by John's. I wanted coffee and maybe a snack. Turned out to be Lebanese food and I didn't recognize anything on the menu. Well, the voffee (and eeven that's Lebanese -- I don't know what that means, exactly, but it's just like American-style) works for me. Mmm, caffeine.


I like that they're much less subtle here about cigarettes. None of that namby-pamby "Surgeon General recommends you do not do the s-word because SOMEone and we're not naming names here says it might make you cough at some point in your lives but don't quote us on that" nonsense for them. Oh no. Theirs say "SMOKING KILLS."

Can't be much clearer than that. It didn't occur to me -- and this is a real "duh" moment here -- until the waitress gave me a funny look that people might have a hard time understanding my accent.

Say it with me now, people: "Duh."

I have learned something important, though.

Disclaimer1: This may not be true for everyone, but I have found it to be true for me so don't go whining if it doesn't work for you.

Homesickness = I need sleep.

My bouts of homesickness (and oh it was strong last night -- there was crying involved) have been fairly well cured by a good night's sleep. And then a nap.

If this was "Arrested Development" then last night I would've turned to the camera and said "I've made a huge mistake."

Today I'm feeling more "Huh. Well then."

If I had to use one word to describe hair here it would be "sleek." Women especially. Not a frizz in sight. (Of course, now that I've said that a woman walked by with frizzy hair -- yes the world does revolve around me, thank you).

My own hair? A short mass of curls. Naturally.

1 American to the core, baby! Form power of: disclaimer!

No comments:

Visitor Count (hi!)